tabs

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Sprinkles and Silliness

One of the ways I like to start my day: a homemade pumpkin spice latte, extra hot!


The girls were creative with the K'nex set and were showing off their results.



A couple days ago when I was on the computer, setting up this blog and I was rather distracted and not paying as much attention to Lauren as I should of. She was still not feeling well from her recent cold and her attention span was very short. I had pulled out all the bottles of tempura paints, paint cloth, paper towels, water, brushes and other things needed for her to paint away for what I hoped would be at least 30 minutes.
After about five minutes, she was done with painting on paper and decided to see what else she could paint on, especially since mom wasn't watching too closely! It got very quiet for awhile so I decided I had better see what she was up to. She had decided to redecorate the powder room with her bright colored paints. Thankfully they are washable and cleaned up easily. I learned my lesson to keep a closer eye on her!




Yesterday Lauren helped me with my long list of groceries at Winco. It is getting much harder to shop with her and I may start leaving her at home and shopping in the evening. First, she was in an excited frenzy when she saw all the bulk bins full of Easter candy. To compromise, I got a VERY small bag of gumdrops and said "that's all your getting today". I needed to get some butter crackers for a new recipe I wanted to try and they are located in the same aisle as all the cookies. Another frenzy came on. She was being very insistent on the Dora cookies, the chocolate fudge cookies and others, but she had to be reminded that she had her gumdrops. All of a sudden, they were not looking so good anymore.
We managed to get through my shopping list, only moving her in and out of the cart about three times, also bumping into Janelle Rupp Newman and her 7 week old baby girl. While Janelle and I chatted, Lauren started pushing the cart away bumping into whatever was in her path. We cut our chat short and I hurried after Lauren before she caused any serious damage.
When I was unloading the groceries at the checkout I came across four items that I know I didn't pick out. I wondered for a minute if I somehow managed to get someone elses cart. Then I realized, it was Lauren doing her own shopping. She picked out a big box of frozen waffles, a can of white chili beans, Hilshire Farm sausage link and a box of confettii cake mix. How did I miss all that?? She was very busy. After an embarrassing explanation to the cashier, I returned three of the items, and kept the 80 cent cake mix box. It would be a project for her to do while Alyssa was at school.
Lately when I have more than one little cook helping me in the kitchen, they can't compromise on taking turns and it doesn't end up a happy experience. So we loaded up the car in an incredible downpour of rain, drove home, and unloaded what was by now very wet, soggy and fragile paper bags. If the future shopping trips are going to be similar to this, I would much rather go alone!


The 80 cent cake mix box. The girls loved the sprinkles inside the cake.
We put the little bag of gumdrops to good use, trying to be creative, but it ended up looking more like a preschool art project.



Lauren decided she needed more sprinkles.

Maybe I should just skip putting them on the cupcake and eat them directly from the container! I ended up tossing the container out when she was done with it.

6 comments:

  1. Cupcakes are always so fun! Your story about the extra stuff cracked me up... one of my favorite spice mixes I got at TJ's... Kiki put it in the cart for me when I wasn't looking. I would have never bought it otherwise, so it turned out alright.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you guys have a trader joes in Wenatchee area? I read your recipe for the fresh basil, gnocchi, chicken and tomatoes and you mentioned you purchased the gnocchi at TJ's. We wish we had one in Gresham as I am rarely near the other locations. Love TJ's!

    ReplyDelete
  3. NO! I stock up when we go to portland. I shopped there SO much when we lived in The Couv. Now I really miss it. I spent $50 on Salsa Autentica and Midnight Moo chocolate syrup when I was down there last weekend, how crazy is that? That cooking class sounds fun, I'll have to see if I can manage it... bet my aunt would like that too. I started my seedlings now because I want them to be sturdy by the time I put them in the ground... not planning on doing that until mid-May probably. You might be ok to do it in april. Mine all list 6-12 weeks for pre-planting, any with less than that I didn't pre-plant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So does this mean my #2 child will be harder than the first one? Only time will tell. ;) At least the outcome seemed fun with the cupcakes! I'm sure you're not the first person to have to give things back to the checker that your daughter put in the cart. :) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the cupcake with the tulips, it's so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My #2 in general has been easier than the first :) She is usually very happy, quite content to play on her own and very willing to obey. Although that last one is starting to change a bit as she becomes more independent, and observes her sister not always wanting to comply. Alyssa is already showing behaviors I didn't expect for a few years! I guess that comes from having a good friend next door who has the example of much older brothers! Lauren keeps things interesting when we shop. We were at the dr yesterday as her fever had come back. Two massive ear infections and a sinus infection. You would never know with her behavior, she sang and chatted all the way to the dr in the car and again at Target when getting her rx. Nice to have such good natured child! It will be interesting to see how Amelia does, especially with a brother coming along. It probably will have been a big help to have Morgan around so much. She will have already learned the lessons of sharing :) Did you get the letter and picture in the mail from my brother? :)

    ReplyDelete