tabs

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Hood River Valley apples and more



We had our first fire in our hearth for Autumn last night. The girls curled up in front of it with their dad and read books together.



Grandpa Dave and Grandma Ann were recently in Prince Edward Island, home of Anne of Green Gables and sent each of us a gift from the island. Alyssa was sent a hat with red braids.
Lauren had just as much fun wearin it!
Lauren was given a tea set, which she immediately put to use! Alyssa decided to be "Anne" for Halloween this year and wear an old fashioned dress I wore around age 10 with her hat.




Alyssa taking advantage of our nice fall weather. Rain is forcasted for this week and the days are already feeling a little darker.





















Grapes from our backyard! We only got about five bunches this year, but this is the first full year for this plant. They were really good! Looking forward to getting a bigger harvest in a few years.




















We headed up to Hood River Valley to buy apples for making sauce. We also ended up getting a bunch of pears which Harry has baked into several yummy crisps. Autumn is definately here!











4 comments:

  1. I LOVE the hat with red braids. That's so cool that she is going to be AnnE for Halloween. To asnwer your question, no, I do not have a squeez-o. I just use the peeler/corer/spiral slicer and then cook it down until it sauces itself. I'm getting sick of sauce and pie filling though since it's the second go-round this year so I'm thinking I'll move on to some apple-spice bread for the freezer! Your apple pictures are downright delicious, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so ambitious Brooke! Second round with apples! Whew! We only bought 40 pounds this year as our freezer has no room since we stuffed it full of peaches in August. I don't can anymore, but freeze and does it take up room! Apple spice bread sounds good! I have a recipe for apple spice cake with a browned butter/brown sugar sauce that is so good served warm for breakfast or dessert-I'll try to post it. Have you dried apples with cinnamon and sugar? Mmmmm! Takes time though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, so I was wavering between canning apple pie filling with my last box of apples, and pulling weeds this afternoon, you totally sealed the deal for me, I'm off to do apples... your pics are gorgeous, BTW!! Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good choice Naomi! I would do apples any day over pulling weeds! Tonight I made an apple coffee cake with a brown sugar (Brandy) sauce that was mmmmm so good! I am going to post it now for others to enjoy :-) I hear you may have visitors this weekend-have fun with your family!

    ReplyDelete